Monday, November 14, 2011

Road to Adepticon


What: AdeptiCon 2012! Ten Year Anniversary!
When: April 19th – 22nd, 2012
Where: Westin Lombard Yorktown Center (Lombard, Illinois)

http://www.adepticon.org/

Well I finially got off my duff and got ahold of the Adepticon crew about running a Macross game. That gives me a goal to work for and keeps the pressure on for getting everything painted and game ready. Adepticon isn't until April but that's not much time considering the the amount of work that still needs to be done.

For those of you unfamilar with Adepticon it's a convetion they hold semi-local to Chicago (Lombard is only the next town over for me so it's only a stone's throw away) It's mostly centered around Warhammer and 40k, but over the last couple years they've been expanding with a lot of other miniature events. There's a schedualed Battletech event pretty much all weekend. They are doing demos of Leviathans which is a Steampunk style flying battleship combat game by Catalysts Game Labs (the guys who currently do battletech) They also have events for Flames of War, Warmachine, Hordes and several other games.

One of the things that sets Adepticon apart is that they require that people playing in their 40k events do so with fully painted armies. While it poses a major challenge and hobby dedication from the players, it makes for a very visually impressive event. As I paint terribly slow I've yet to actually play in any events there but I've gone for the last three years now just to watch as it really gets the creative gears turning. In a way the game play at Adepticon takes a back seat as people put such an effort to make their armies look good an stand out, there are some absolutely increible armies on display there with lots of custom work.

They also hold a very impressive painting competition, last year they gave out a 10k prize for first place so it's the largest draw for pro-level painters that I know of. There is a pretty cool vendors hall with lots of gaming products.They also have a late night bits and model trading bazaar, great way to sell old models or trade for stuff you need.

I don't have a finalized time and date for the Macross event just yet, I'm aiming to run an evening event Thurs, Fri & Sat. It'd be an open play demo style event so all people need to do is show up. I'll have all the models and materials needed to play onhand. I'll definately post an update once I get the time & date finialized.

As far as conventions go it's one of my top picks, ignoring the local bias it's held in a great location with plenty of places for food and plenty of bar options. As part of the hotel it doesn't require taking cabs all over the city, there's also several lower priced hotels in the area. It's very well run and always managed to impress me. As a miniatures gamer I honestly prefer it much more than Origins or Gencon.

RPG and card players won't find much of interest there but for minis gaming it is an amazing event.

No comments:

Post a Comment