Sunday, January 27, 2013

Terrain Update

I finally got the prints in today, it took a little bit longer than expected as he was out with the flu. I've been lucky enough to dodge it this year, normally I get the flu bug almost every Jan without fail. Perhaps if I continue hiding at home for the next week maybe I can avoid that trend.

Due to the larger size on some of these pieces they were printed on an objet machine as it helps keep the cost down a bit and also has a larger build area available. To optimize the print quality they were printed in halves that can be paired together. This helps elminate excess contact points for the support material and also helps keep the pieces from bowing. (Not that I knew any of this initally) I was going on Paul's advice as I'm lost when dealing with the technical aspects of printing, I just make models.

Here's some shots of the raw master parts, they need to be cleaned and primed for molding.

(Infinity Orc Trooper shown for scale)




After a bit of sanding and clean up I got the first two casts complete. While I'm not all that skilled at painting I gave them a quick paint job to help show some of the detail. Because I'm a goof I forgot to take shots of the resin casts prior to painting. I'll update with pics of the bare resin shortly.

I printed out some graphics on self-stick mailing labels as I'd never be able to freehand that stuff.




Monday, January 7, 2013

Infinity Cutter - Rough Paint

I started roughing out the color patterns on the Cutter. I removed the arms because they were constantly getting in the way. Given the complexity of the model I probably should have removed the rear fins as well. I went with a 3 tone grey scheme that'll have some glowing blue bits poking out in the various armor recesses.

The models is a bit more flat in color than what shows in these pictures, my camera is very sensitive to any glare and I tend to get light pools even when the paint is flat. Colors used are P3: Greatcoat Grey, GW: Chaos Black, Dawnstone, Administratum Grey and Icy Blue. I use a wet pallette to help keep the paints a thinner consistancy.

I'm aiming for a good tabletop standard, although the blacklining is probably on the heavy side. I'm not the best of painters but I try and push my abilities a little bit each time I do a model. It took me about 4 hours to get this far as I was experimenting wih the scheme and taking my time on the black lining.

Only half the model has paint the side not shown is basically all primer as I have a weird habit of painting one half of the model at a time (and working that half all from one perspective).

Once I get everything done I'll likely need to hit it with a layer of dullcoat. I do want the stomach and musculature to have a glossy plastic or nylon appearance. It reminds me of braind synthetic rope and it think it'd make for an interesting look. So that part I'll touch up by hand with gloss at the very end.

Near Future Terrain

Some quick models I put together for modern and near future gaming. It's simple stuff but there's not all that much 28mm terrain available that grabs my attention. Skirmish games like Infinity need a lot of it to populate a board so i figured what the heck. I'm hoping to have these back from the printer within about a week or so.


Soda Machine




Information Sign





Data Terminal





Mall Trash Can





Food Vending Machine


To Infinity And Beyond!

I suppose that's probably one of the most overused tags for people starting out on Infinity, but it's such a great Toy Story line and it's impossible to resist. Anyways that summerises one of my new gaming projects for the year and I've also decided to give the blog a slight visual overhaul in honor of Infinity.

I recieved some cash for Christmas and I picked up the Rulebook and a couple Pan Oceania minatures. I've been eyeing Infinity for quite a while but have held off due to a lack of local players and game store having difficulty keeping it in stock. Miniature Market is now carrying the line so I decided to take the plunge.

The detail level on the models is simply amazing. It does however come at a price during assembly, some of the parts are very tiny and difficult to work with but well worth the effort once they are assembled.



Of course being the modelling addict I am I can't leave any army stock and I decided to swap out the head on my Armored Cavarly model. The stock head I felt was a bit too long and wasp-ish. I duplicated the cutter head in resin carved off the excess and drilled a mounting hole with my dremmel.

(I lowered the head slightly more after taking these pics)





After a good cleaning with soap water I gave the two TAG units a layer of primer. Nowdays I typically prime stuff by hand. I almost always flood the detail if I try and use spray paint, I own a cheap airbrush but it's a bit difficult to work wth and the control isn't very good. At some point I'll upgrade to a better brush but for now I just use a watered down paint to prime with by hand.

I went over these models with two thin layers and they are now ready for roughing out the base colors.



I'll need to pick up a few more light infantry models in order to make a playable force but these will keep me busy for a bit while I chew my way through the game rules.